African Economic Research Consortium to Host a Virtual Plenary Session on
“Business Environment, Competitiveness and Economic Growth in Africa”
NAIROBI, Kenya, 24 June, 2020 -/African Media Agency (AMA)/- The African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) will host its 52nd Plenary Session on “Business Environment, Competitiveness and Economic Growth in Africa” on Monday 29th of June 2020. The official opening and keynote will by Hon. Betty C. Maina, Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Industrialization, Trade and Enterprise Development, Kenya. The plenary seeks to unpack why Africa continues to be less competitive despite progress in the areas of doing business, investment climate, and infrastructure. The focus is on how misalignments in economic policy management create distortions that impede the performance of firms, thereby reducing the growth of decent jobs.
- Dr. Shantayanan Devarajan, Georgetown of University, will start off the proceedings with a look at African Competitiveness: What do Natural Resources have to do with it?
- Next will be The Changing Context for African Competitiveness: What will happen to Manufacturing? by Prof. Ernest Aryeetey, Secretary-General of the African Research Universities Alliance (ARUA) and former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ghana.
- The third presentation, by Prof. Pramila Krishan – University of Oxford, will be on Exchange Rate Regimes and Firm Competitiveness and the last paper on Employment Transformation in sub-Saharan Africa – What does Competitiveness have to do with it? will be presented by Prof. Louise Fox, former Chief Economist, USAID.
- Prof. Erik Thorbecke, Cornell University, USA, will chair the session and Prof. Njuguna Ndung’u, Executive Director, AERC, will set the stage.
- Mr. Abebe Selassie, Director of Africa Region, IMF, will deliver the Keynote Address.
- Other presenters include
- Prof. Benno Ndulu Pathways for Prosperity Commission on Technology and Inclusive Development
- Former Bank of Tanzania Governor, Stephen N. Karingi, Director United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA);
- Hanan Morsy, Director – African Development Bank (AfDB), who will speak on Macroeconomic Consequences
- AERC to Host 52nd Plenary Session of the Biannual Research Workshop virtually. Journalists are requested to register credentials prior to the meeting for logistical purposes.
- The Plenary Session is themed “Business Environment, Competitiveness and Economic Growth in Africa.”
- Detailed agenda and event information will be made available here:
- Spokesperson, AERC’s Executive Director, Prof. Njuguna Ndung’u is available for pre – and post-event interviews on the topic of Competitiveness and Economic Growth.
Mobile : +254 (0) 721 382 777