“DRC believed to hold mineral resources estimated at US$24-trillion dollars”
KINSHASA, Democratic Republic of Congo, 2 September 2014, -/African Media Agency (AMA)/- “iPAD DRC Mining & Infrastructure Indaba remains the only mining focused event in the DRC and the region, and thanks to the unfailing support and input from the government and the industry, we are celebrating 10 years of networking, development, progress and success,” says event director Nicole Smith. Last year, the conference and exhibition welcomed more than 500 attendees.
The DRC’s Ministry of Mines is an official supporter of this year’s event again, which is taking place from 22-23 October in Kinshasa and has also already secured impressive industry support through the diamond sponsorship represented by Kamoto Copper Company as well as Engen, MMG, Standard Bank, Tenke Fungurume Mining and Tiger Resources Limited, as platinum sponsors.
This year’s iPAD DRC Mining & Infrastructure Indaba will focus on the following major themes:
– The liberalisation of the power sector in DRC
– Public-private partnerships and their impact for the electrification of the region
– Major projects and funding from donors
– Solutions and alternatives for operators to meet their power demand
Impressive economic growth
According to Nicole Smith, “the mining industry in DRC has undoubtedly made a tremendous contribution to the impressive economic growth which reached 8.5% at the end of 2013. DRC is believed to hold mineral resources estimated at US$24-trillion dollars including deposits of gold, diamonds, copper, cobalt and tin.”
“Moreover, in early July this year, DRC earned full membership to the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI), and has been recognised as part of this global organisation promoting good management and transparency in the oil, gas and mineral industry. The timing could not be better and this step is key to ensuring economic and international success for ministries and investors, and will gradually give the country the chance to establish a transparent and well managed business climate”, adds Nicole Smith.
What is new?
DRC Mining Industry Awards
“To celebrate the success and the loyalty of our event participants during the past 10 years, we are proud to launch the DRC Mining Industry Awards Gala Dinner, recognising excellence within the mining sector and rewarding companies and individuals who have made a significant contribution to the industry,” says Nicole Smith.
The public can nominate candidates in the following categories:
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Best Performer in Environmental Management
- Best Performer in Occupational Health and Safety
- Best Performer in Social Investment
- Best Performer in Innovation
- Best performer in Engineering
- Mining Company of the Year
- Power Pre-conference day:
- Chairman: Vika di Panzu, MD, Katanga Energy
- Eric Mbala, MD, SNEL
- Gustave Nzeng, KCC DRC, Chairman
- Opening session:
- Perspectives for the mining industry
H.E. Martin Kabwelulu Labilo, Minister of Mines
- Increase financing within the mining sector: issues and opportunities
- Perspectives for the mining industry
Eric Mboma, CEO, Standard Bank DRC
- Good governance and transparency
- Jeremy Mack Dumba, National Rep, EITI DRC
- Eric Mukandila, Mining Advisor, Prime Minister’s Office
Get into the field with the Katanga Mining Week
Following iPAD DRC Mining & Infrastructure Indaba,Katanga Mining Week, will celebrate its 5th edition in Lubumbashi from 26-29 October. The event has become a reference for mining operators and is now the biggest exhibition in the DRC, giving the opportunity to suppliers to meet the key decision makers of the mining industry in Katanga.
iPAD DRC Mining & Infrastructure Indaba dates and location:
Conference and expo: 22-23 October
Power pre-conference : 21 October
Venue: Fleuve Congo Hotel, 119 Boulevard Tshatshi, Kinshasa Gombe, DRC
The event is organised by Spintelligent, leading Cape Town-based trade exhibition and conference organiser, and the African office of Clarion Events Ltd in the UK.